Did you have problems while using a condom or internal condom? Then it might make sense for you to take an HIV test.
Are you in intimate relationships with changing partners? Then you should get tested for HIV once a year.
There are many good reasons to get an HIV test:
- You would like to have sex without a condom or internal condom in a relationship or partnership.
- You would like to have children.
- You are expecting a child.
- You want to be sure you have not caught the virus after you have had a high-risk exposure.
- You would like to get early treatment after a possible infection with HIV.
- You are experiencing unclear symptoms.
An HIV test is always voluntary. Every person decides themselves whether they want to get tested or not. Without consent, no HIV test. This also applies to testing at the hospital or at a doctor’s office.
There are different kinds of HIV tests:
- HIV lab tests
- rapid HIV tests
- HIV self tests
Most ‘Aidshilfe’ support centres and many local public health authorities offer HIV testing. The test will be carried out anonymously. You do no need to give your name. Nobody but you will know the result.
You can find more information on HIV testing in various languages, including English, at:
You can find further information on this topic in easy German at:
You can find further information on this topic in plain German at: